#navbar-iframe { height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none;} THE GRAYBILLS: Bailey Skis

Bailey Skis

Sunday, January 31, 2010

I took Bailey skiing for the first time on what I thought would be a warm sunny day to Alta for Ski Free After 3. I should've known better than to expect that in the middle of January. I think Bailey started to get car sick on the ride up the canyon--heck, I started to get sick and I was driving. Little Cottonwood is a doosy. Anyway, we made it up to the resort all in one piece and got all ready to go. It had been raining in Riverton so I thought Bailey would be fine in her little snow suit and she was, until we got half way up the lift. I had put her in a harness facing me and I tried my best to shield her from the wind, but it was blowing hard and it was bitter cold. I hadn't put my gloves on because I wanted them free so I could take care of Bailey. Good thing Tyra came up right behind me when we got off the lift because I couldn't feel my fingers. I've had some cold ski days, but my hands have never felt like that before. She had to help me get my gloves on because I couldn't feel anything.

Once my hands were warm and I could function again, we headed off down the mountain. Bailey, I think, was having fun because she was kicking her feet and bobbing her head like she does when she's happy. The first run down was great and my neices and nephews did a great job. We decided we could do one more run, so up we went on the lift and I think Bailey was done by then. Her little nose was running and she was wimpering most of the way down. I thought she was just uncomfortable in the harness, which she probably was, but we hurried down anyway.

By this time, Bailey was having no fun at all so I rushed down to the parking lot. I decided to save some time and ski through the parking lot trying not to think about the damage I was inflicting on my $600 skis. Bailey was just hanging there and crying like she was the most tired she had ever been. We made it to the car and I hurried to get Bailey undressed. She was so miserable as I tried to take her snow suit off and I found her little hands and feet were freezing. I turned the car on to get it warmed up and fed her while she thawed out. I had not put nearly enough clothes on her and she was freezing, the poor thing. Next time I have it all planned out how I'm going to keep her warm so she was won't freeze to death. Or maybe I'll just leave her with her Nana and wait until next year to attempt skiing with her again.


Nickie and Bailey

Licy all bundled up and ready to hit the slopes.

This was the start of our second run down the hill and by this time Bailey was done.

0 comments: