#navbar-iframe { height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none;} THE GRAYBILLS: Kiwanis 5k

Kiwanis 5k

Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm attempting to catch up on recording the events of our lives before they're completely out of my memory.

Some friends and I ran in the 1st Annual Kiwanis 5k on April 9th held at Gardner Village. I have been running with my friend Randi and I think we make a pretty good running pair because we run the same pace and we have good conversations. We had run the Riverton Half Marathon back in March (more on that later) and have been running on average three days a week so we weren't too worried about a 5k. It was a little chilly when we arrived at the race and were anxious to get going so we could warm up. Randi gets a little nervous at races so when the race started she took off at a faster pace then we were used to. After about a mile we were both a little tired and started to slow our pace, but I wondered to myself if I could keep the pace the whole race. I decided I would go for it and see if I could do it. I was feeling pretty good at the half-way mark and felt I could keep going. I think I was mostly running on adrenaline because of all the people I was able to pass. In my mind I kept thinking just pass that person, you can pass that person, you can catch that 7-year old (there really was a 7-year old girl in the race who almost kicked my butt). Towards the end of the race I was still feeling pretty good, but was very anxious to see the finish line. There were many people who were running about my pace and I wondered if this pace was normal for them because I was almost ready to die. I didn't die however and finished with my best time of 26 minutes. After the race they gave us our print outs with our times and race standings and as we were all comparing our times we realized they had totally messed up because no one's were correct. Randi had gotten a printout with my time on it and I had gotten hers. We found out the scanner used to scan everyone's bibs wasn't working and then when they tried re-entering them, they dropped the stack of tear-offs so they got all out of order. During the medal ceremony my friend Randi had gotten 2nd place so we thought for sure they would call my name, but they ended up awarding the 1st place medal to a boy for the Women's 25-29 division. I was bummed because I had never run so fast for so long in my life. We headed home after the race and it took me almost four days to get over my headache and to get rehydrated (all for a 5k... ugh).

Well, guess what came in the mail the other day?!!!

Ta Da!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yeah that's exciting congratulations

Team Beardshall said...

woooo hooo, I am very impressed for sure! You need a pic with the metal on, ha! PS good job on the Riverton half. I dont feel bad I didn't do that one, sounds hard!!!!